Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homemade No-bake "Lara" Bars

Every time I come back to Turkey, I always stock up at Whole Foods on as many wholesome snack bars I can manage justifying luggage space to myself for.  So I looked at the ingredients of one of my favorites, Lara bars, and it turns out that most are made of the simplest of ingredients which are seemingly just mashed up, so I decided to make my own this time.

So I went to the glorious Beşiktaş fruit and nut store and stocked up for the event.

It's a very basic idea: take one kind of dried fruit that can be mushed up (dates, apricots, maybe figs) and combined that with crushed nuts.

In a bag, place about 1/2 cup of any kind of nut you want. Take a wooden spoon, or better yet, a rolling pin, and just smash the nuts until they are in very small and even meal-like pieces. 

In addition, you might consider adding:
other types of dried fruit (chopped cranberries, cherries
seeds (pumpkin, flax)
chocolate chunks
coconut

Once you have your amalgamation of goods combined, spread it (with a spoon) across the bottom of a tupperware to desired thickness and place in fridge.  When ready to use slice and remove from tupperware, put in ziplock sandwich bag and you're ready to go.

Apricot/Cranberry/Walnut/Cashew bar:

First I picked out the juiciest of apricots from my dried/fruit and nut store. I took each apricot and sliced them along the side, opening up their skin to get into the meaty inside. Then took a spoon and just smushed them in a bowl. I then added chopped cranberries to this.
I crushed up 1/8 cup of walnuts, because that's all I had left, and then decided to add cashews.

Date/Cashew bar:
Take about 8-10 dates, slice them to open them up and remove the seed, then place them all in a bowl and mash 'em up.

In a bag, place 1/3 cup cashews and roll over them with rolling pin or spoon to mash them into little pieces.  Combine with dates to evenly spread cashews throughout date mixture.  Spoon into tupperware and spread to desired thickness.  Place in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment